Thursday, May 21, 2009

Music

Okay, so I am a huge music fan. I know that really doesn't come as a huge shock to you guys, but I thought I would say it regardless.

Anyway, I recently heard/saw two music things that inspired this post.

The first was the TV show Glee. It has to be the inner-Broadway nerd in me, but I absolutely loved it. Is it sad that as soon as the show ended, I immediately wanted to jump up and do my own "show choir" routine for my dogs? Seriously, people, if you didn't get a chance to see it, check it out online. Their arrangement of Journey's Don't Stop Believin' is reason enough to watch. Also, just as a side trivia for those that saw it, can anyone tell me what is ironic about the character Rachel singing On My Own throughout the show? I would almost be willing to offer a prize for that one.

The second music related item that I saw/heard recently was actually a couple of months ago. It was a David Foster special on PBS. In it, Michael Buble sang a song that he cowrote called Home. If you haven't heard it, it is really well done.

Just as an FYI, here are some other songs/albums I recommend...
  • Always Be My Baby - The American Idol David Cook version. I absolutely did not like the original Mariah Carey version, but this one has a rock edge that makes it interesting.
  • Jennys Says by Cowboy Mouth - I'm just a fan of this group. Check them out if you haven't heard them.
  • Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
  • Light & Day/Reach for the Sun by Polyphonic Spree - I secretly wish I was part of their group.
  • Beautiful Disaster by Jon McLaughlin
  • the Soundtrack to Wicked
  • Claudio Arrau's recording of the Chopin's Complete Nocturnes and Impromtus - This is my de-stress music.

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

Some of those are on my faves list, and I will check the others out.

And I would LOVE to see you do a show choir routine for your dogs. I think it would be spectacular.

Deborah said...

I was looking more forward to watching Glee than I was the finale of AI! It's going to be one of those shows that I overlook all the innuendos just to get to the music numbers.

The brain is hurting...I'd love to know what irony you saw in "On My Own".

Elizabeth said...

Wasn't that girl in Les Miserables when she was a kid? Is that the irony? Hope all is well!!!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Elizabeth has it right (although maybe irony isn't the best word for me to have used). She played both young Cosette and young Eponine on Broadway (adult Eponine is who sings On My Own).

I agree, Deborah. I'm just going to have to overlook the innuendo solely for the musical numbers.

Roxanne, next time I see you, I'll show you my show choir number.