Saturday, August 22, 2009

RIP, Precious Hair Dryer, RIP

Well, today was the day...the day I had been dreading for so long. In the midst of drying my hair, my hair dryer died. If even for a moment I held any hope of it actually ever working again, the smoke coming out of the barrel dashed those hopes.

So, I did what any normal girl would do. I panicked. Not only was I standing in my bathroom with sopping wet hair, but the only thing I had to use on it was a tiny little travel hair dryer. Yep, you know what I am talking about. Those of you who treasure your full strength blow dryer as much as I do understand the absurdity of using a travel one.

I worked through it none-the-less, and as I did so, I formulated a plan on what type of hair dryer I needed to purchase TODAY and how much that might cost.

Now, before any of you judge my hair vanity much further, I would like to offer up a defense on my behalf. There are very few items that I feel so strongly about. Yes, one of those is my hair dryer (the others are my vacuum cleaner and peanut butter), but if you understood a little about my blow drying history, it might not seem so over-the-top.

Because I have lots of hair that is naturally frizzy (think of Bellatrix Lestrange from HP), I struggle to make my hair presentable. Letting my hair dry naturally was just not an option, so in college, I used the two dryer system. Yes, I owned two hair dryers, and yes I plugged them in and used them simultaneously. On days that my arms would start to get tired, one of my roommates would grab one and help out.

So, you see, when I finally found a hair dryer that was high powered enough and worked beautifully, I bought it.

That brings me back to today. I have laid my hair dryer gingerly on my bed, and I have even shed a tear or two on its behalf. Now, though, it is time to pick myself up and start the shopping process for a new one as I am out running my errands today.

In the meantime, I need to change my grocery shopping list to read Diet Sam's Cola and Cereal-in-a-Sack rather than their name brand counterparts, because if I have to choose between quality groceries and a quality hair dryer, I am going with the blow dryer EVERY time.

1 comment:

Ryan and Katie said...

I also feel strongly about peanut butter...(not so much hair dryers or vacuums although I do love the 8 pound Oreck that I rarely ever use)so I'm wondering which brand you love? I love peter pan smooth and when they had to remove them from the shelves for that ecoli scare or whatever it was I about died. PB is a staple food in my diet. A spoonful of it goes great with ANYTHING!