Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Roasted Potatoes

Last night, I decided it was time to once again attempt to make a pan of roasted potatoes. For those who know me well, you know that for some reason I do not seem to possess the ability to roast vegetables to an edible state. I have read numerous cookbooks, websites, etc. on how to do this properly and yet I have still managed to mess up countless pans of roasted vegetables.

Last night, though, I was feeling daring.

As I set about in my preparation, I read and reread the directions. As the potatoes were in the oven, I literally sat on pins and needles waiting. When it was finally time to pull them out, I took a hesitant bite and discovered that they were E.D.I.B.L.E. In fact, they were better than edible. They tasted good.

After doing a little happy dance and enjoying my supper, I decided that I would make a pan of brownies for work today. I have made these brownies numerous times, and they really are quite yummy. So, this would be a nice end to a successful cooking evening.

Apparently, I had used up all my good cooking karma because as I set out to make the brownies, I accidentally sprinkled black pepper into them rather than salt (I picked up the wrong shaker). I tried to pick out as much of the pepper as I could and then kept on my way.

The next thing that happened was that I dropped my bottle of vanilla extract on my kitchen counter...my OPEN bottle of vanilla extract. On the plus side, my kitchen now has a strong vanilla scent to it, and I won't need to buy a glade plug-in for quite some time.

Lastly, and worstly (yes, I know that is not a real word) of all, as I was pouring in the oil, I dropped by glass measuring cup into the glass bowl I was using and broke the measuring cup. At this point, I decided that the office really didn't need brownies (nor would they want brownies that had glass shards as one of the ingredients). So, I took the whole bowl and just dumped it in the trash.

On the plus side, I finally conquered my fear of roasted potatoes!!!!!! (I am still happy dancing today. Perhaps, I will try roasting some carrots next.)

2 comments:

Cindy Deister said...

Good call on the brownies! May you have many more happy dances in a vanilla-scented kitchen... :)

Deborah said...

JENNIFER!! I have so missed your blog. Now that we're in the Big D, and I finally have internet again, I am caught up. I was really worried about your eardrums for quite a while, since that post was up for so long.

By the way, the boys love your mom as their music teacher.