Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm Finally Home!!!!!

So...I've been gone for a full week, and I am so glad to be home. It was absolutely wonderful to sleep in my own bed last night. I liked it so much, that it was super hard to actually get up and out of my bed this morning.

One of the places that I have been this past week is at the CEC Conference in Nashville. It was very informative. I thought I would share with all of you a little bit of what I learned.

1. Every preacher has the same voice. They must teach it in preaching school because every single pulpit minister that I listened to or visited with at CEC had the same inflection, appropriate pause due to an insightful comment, and metered speech that really makes the rest of us sound rather unintelligent.

2. Elvis does not live in Nashville. He apparently is from Memphis.

3. Hotel eating is even more expensive than Six Flags eating.

4. Ministers observe way too much decorum (and the majority have only a small sense of humor).

5. Church of Christers have a very hard time clapping in time with the music.

Lastly, I had an interesting experience at the banquet that was held on Tuesday evening. I was running a little late and came in just as they were getting ready to serve. Another gentleman was also coming in a little late, and so he walked in at the same time as I did. When I entered the room, I did not immediately see anyone I knew, and so I found a table with a number of empty spots and asked the table if I could join them. Well, this man that had walked in at the same time as me apparently decided he was my date (I had visited with him once in passing through the few days of the conference). He stayed right behind me and followed me as I circled the table trying to decide on a seat (truthfully, I was not having a hard time deciding on a seat, I was just trying to shake him off my tail). So, as I pick a chair that was separated slightly from the people who were already sitting there, he tried to pull my chair out for me, and then proceeded to sit down right next to me. My internal reaction was, "Dude, get away from me." It was at that point that I desperately looked around at any other table that had spots open to see if I knew ANYONE at those table. I found one that fit my requirements and made a hasty excuse about seeing the people I was trying to locate and left the table. Anyone who knows me knows I have major space issues (specifically, I have a dance zone), and this man REALLY invaded my dance zone.

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

I will add "space issues" to my list of things to know about you.

Wezie said...

So I am gathering that he was not potential boyfriend material.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

most definitely not.

Lynn Leaming said...

Don't know who you are referring to of course but just have to say I had the same feelings about Steve when I first met him. It took God 9 years to open my eyes and now we have been married for 18. You can't always trust your first impressions.

Sorry you didn't have better take aways from the conference. The speakers I listened to were oustanding and have changed my whole perspective on future ministry.

I do know what you mean about being back home in my own Bed!!

Roxanne said...

The first Valentine's day that I met Tony, he sent me roses for being nice to him ('cause he'd never had a girl that was a friend only and didn't quite know how to act), and when I opened the door and saw they were for me from him I said, "Grooooooooossssssssss! Gross! Gross! Gross!"

Of course, he didn't follow me around like a lost duck and give me the creeps.