Saturday, March 7, 2009

Can It Be Done?

So, I have begun an endeavor. Before I tell you what it is, I will admit that I am not entirely certain that I can actually do this.

I know you are brimming with anticipation at knowing exactly what I am talking about, but I have to forewarn you that it is not that interesting.

My goal is to use all the groceries in my pantry and freezer before I buy any more at the store. I know it is not a terribly exciting goal, but I have stockpiled a nice amount of groceries, and I need to use them up before I purchase more. Now, I can purchase things like milk, eggs, butter, etc. at the store (things that are perishble), but otherwise, I am trying to come up with meals using what I have.

For example, last night I pulled out a can of pumpkin puree that I had left over and made pumpkin pancakes. Tonight, wasn't as tasty. This evening, I ate "pizza" made with crescent roll dough, can of tomato sauce, and some frozen mozarella cheese and some frozen broccoli that I sliced into small pieces. Then, I pulled out a can of sliced peaches and ate a bowl of those. It wasn't a terribly exciting meal (plus, there were leftovers, so that will be lunch tomorrow), but I used up a little bit more.

I remember my parents doing this type of thing when I was young, but it was more of an end-of-the-month and the grocery money is used up for the month type thing. Invariably, it usually involved a can of Veg-all. I think that is why I have such an aversion to the product today. Although, I am not sure why we would purchase Veg-all to begin with.

Anyway, I will keep you updated on my pantry process. My next quest is to figure out how to use up cans of cream of mushroom soup.

1 comment:

Jacinda said...

Cream of mushroom can be used on just about anything! Pour a can on top of chicken, pork chops....oh wait-I just remembered you don't eat much meat......Cream of mushroom with rice is really good!