Monday, March 2, 2009

How Often Can You Use an Adult-Size Parrot

So, I have begun work on my script for VBS this year. We are doing Esther. This is probably my favorite story in the Bible, and so I am super-excited that this is the one we are doing.

Last year, we did Jonah, and the break-out star was the adult-size parrot suspended over the baptistry. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to work the parrot back into the show this year, but I haven't quite come up with an idea that really seems plausible.

Here are the possible scenarios so far...

1. The parrot gets loose in the palace of King Xerxes and flies back and forth on a trapeze wire throughout the scenes. The only thing that concerns me about this one is that their are brick walls on either side of the stage area, and I can just see the parrot crashing into the brick wall and dying right there on stage. It might scar a child.

2. Like in Aladdin (the Disney animated version), the parrot is the mascot of the bad guy. So, Haman would walk around with the adult-size parrot sitting on his shoulders making wisecracks. As with option 1, there is a downside to this one too. The person I am going to ask to play Haman is about 5'9", and the person who played the parrot is 6'4". It might look a tad strange.

3. Since there are a number of banquets mentioned in this story, the parrot could be the main course in one of the banquets. One of the guards could chase the parrot, catch him, skin him, and then cook him all right on stage, so that when the scripture says they "prepared a banquet table" the kids could really see that in action. My question with this one is where would I find a "chicken skin" costume so that once all of the parrot's feathers are plucked, we see the rubbery chicken-looking skin underneath. It has to look realistic.

Any thoughts from you guys? Is there a better way to incorporate the parrot?

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

I'm assuming that you've discussed all of these scenarios with Colin?

The thing is. . .there is no way for a 6'4" British parrot to NOT be HILARIOUS. Oh. . .man. . .he was so incredible last year. So. Incredible.

Seth, Elisa, Adam, and Clara said...

Too funny! I'm doing the Beth Moore Esther study right now, very awesome!

Phillips Family said...

You are very funny!

B/c I am doing Beth Moore's Esther study I know some details about ol esther...like how the banquets that were held in the gardens were actually held in massive territories of land that had wild animals in them (to show how wealthy the king was). Perfect place to showcase a parrot....