Saturday, March 14, 2009

Satiny Wonderment, Part 2

Okay, so today was satiny wonderment, part 2. It was just as satiny, but not quite so wonderment filled.

I headed to another Walmart today in search of some more costume satin. I called around first to make sure the Walmart I was headed to acutally had some of the fabric I needed. When I got there, I quickly found the fabric I was looking for. I grabbed up all the bolts that I saw of the blue satin and silver satin that I needed, and then I noticed they had more of a butter yellow and fuschia we are using for Queen Vashti's banquet room. So, I loaded those into my cart, too.

That's when the fun began.

After standing there for almost 15 minutes, I was fairly tempted to cut my own fabric, but finally a worker approached. I pulled out the first bolt and said, "I need all of the fabric on this one." To which he replied, "You need all of the fabric on this one?" After I convinced him that I was sure, he began to unwrap the fabric and measure.

turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...

Worker: There is 1 yard.
Me: Yes, I need all of the fabric on this bolt.

turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...

Worker: That is 2 yards.
Me: Yes, thank you. I still need all of it.

turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...

Worker: That is 3 yards.
Me: You're doing great! (I guess I thought my peppy compliment would convince him to move quicker. It didn't.)

turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...

Worker: Okay that is 3 yards and 20 inches...so 3 and 5/8ths.
Me: Actually, 20 inches does not make it to 5/8ths yet, so you are charging me for fabric that is not there. It should be 3 1/2 yards.
Worker: Look at my ruler. If you round up, it is 3 and 5/8ths.
Me: But you don't round up when dealing with fabric. It is kind of like me putting 6 apples in my cart and you trying to charge me for 10. You can't round up to 10 apples. You would be charging me for something I didn't buy.
Worker: (Huge sigh) Okay, 3 1/2 yards.

-Next Bolt gets placed up on the counter-

Me: I need all of the fabric on this one.
Workers: You need all of the fabric on this one?
Me: Yes (with heavy exasperation in my voice)

turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...
turn (ever so slowly)...

Worker: There is 1 yard.
Me: Yes, I need all of the fabric on this bolt.

...I kidd you not, this happened for 28 more yards of fabric. By the time he finished measuring and cutting my fabric, there was no kindness left in my body. Fortunately, after our first "rounding-up" exchange, he didn't try to do that again, and fortunately, I left the store with all the fabric I needed (and was desperate to find). However, I have had my Walmart fill for a very long time, and hope to not have to do that again anytime soon.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

So relieved I have not missed anything after deleting all of my favorites on my internet thingy. . .and did I also happen to mention that I've misplaced not one but TWO different credit cards today? A Mastercard and a Discover. I'm pretty sure that I didn't LEAVE them anywhere as I remember when I last had them, but there whereabouts--as well as those of my internet faves--are as yet to be determined.

Are you sure you still want to be friends with me?

Cindy Deister said...

I hate Walmart.

thestephen4 said...

Um, let us start with why going to Walmart is NEVER a good idea.....