Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

(Yes, I am singing that in my best Bing Crosby voice.)

It really is the most wonderful time of the year. It's the day before Thanksgiving and only a month until Christmas. I love the fact that during this time of the year, families come together to enjoy their many blessings. I also love that during this time of the year, people can put aside their differences and show kindness to one another. (Although, someone forgot to tell a few of the patrons at the mall that fact today.)

As much as I love this season and revel in the joy of the holidays, I do have one dark little secret lurking about that I feel compelled to share with you.

Are you ready?

(Please don't judge me.)

Okay...here it goes...I do not decorate for the holidays. Yes, you read that correctly. I don't put out centerpieces. I don't hang special towels in the bathroom. And I don't hang a wreath from my door. As bad as all of that sounds, you still haven't heard the worst of it. I don't even put up a Christmas tree. (Yes, I can hear the collective gasping sound.)

I know many of you decorate multiple rooms with multiple themes during the holiday season, and I very much enjoy looking at your decorations and remarking on their beauty. I just don't haul out any of said decorations and put them up. (The one exception being my great-grandmother's angel bells.)

So this year, as you are beginning to deck your halls with lots of holiday cheer and spirit, make the Christmas candies, and put out the presents, please keep in mind that I need to locate a tree to put my Christmas presents under, and so if you have some extra space under yours, I would be willing to rent it from you. And, if your tree has a little train that goes around the base, I will pay extra.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if we will put up a tree, but there will be presents for you somewhere around here.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

MB

Jennifer Schroeder said...

MB (Dad), you realize don't you that I will actually be with you guys for Christmas, so that was an extraneous "Merry Christmas" you threw out there.

Anonymous said...

I'm not paying by the word, so it didn't cost me anything to wish my favorite daughter "merry christmas"!

MB

Phillips Family said...

You are more than welcome to leave something under my tree.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you will be at the farm this year. There will be a tree there...if I have to cut it down and decorate it myself.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Yes, I will most definitely be at the farm. I didn't take any "vacation days" at Thanksgiving so that I could take quite a few at Christmas. And I am looking forward to watching you cut down a tree.