Monday, November 30, 2009

Hon, Honey, Babe, Sweetie Pie...

Okay, I know many of you have heard my thoughts on this already, but I think it warrants being said again.

If you do not know me well, and especially if you have never actually met me, then you are NOT NOT NOT allowed to call me Hon, Honey, Babe, Sweetie Pie, or any variation of those "terms of endearment."

They are called "terms of endearment" for a reason, and generally, they accompany some sort of personal relationship. Being the drive-thru person at the dry cleaners does not make you personally connected to me in any way, shape, or form that then makes "Hon" a permissable part of your vocabulary when talking to me.

And you know, it's even ickier when you have the whole "creepy old man" vibe going (but that is definitely a post for another day).

Just in case you are still uncertain as to my feelings on the matter, I have included a line graph with this post. The X-axis denotes specific people who might use terms of endearment, and the Y-axis indicates level of acceptability.

4 comments:

Tamra said...

I'm assuming the Sonic Drive-Thru Person is ranked higher than Dry Cleaners because you visit Sonic so frequently that you've begun to develop a personal relationship with said Sonic Drive-Thru Person?

Jennifer Schroeder said...

You are the first person to notice that, and you are quite right. Hey, I'll email you back later on today. It has been a busy, busy day.

Deborah said...

I noticed the extra love for Sonic too, schnook'ems.

Anonymous said...

ANY Sonic drive in person with my Diet Coke on their tray can call me whatever they like. . .just hand it over.

And, Sugar, your chart CRACKED me up.