Monday, December 7, 2009

Give Me a BIG Smile


For today's post, I thought I would showcase the wonderful, artistic talents of the daughter of one of my friends. As her mother and I sat at their kitchen table on Saturday afternoon, she created this portrait for me, and I told her that I wanted to post it and show it off. So, here it is.
The thing that really strikes me about this picture is just how accurately she was able to draw it.

Eyes: Notice how one eye is looking in a slightly different place than the other. She got that EXACTLY right. Because my eyes do not look in exactly the same spot, there is a complete and total ban of anyone taking pictures of me. The few that have been snapped come out with me looking either drugged or drunk.

Hair: The hair is a cute chin length bob. Unfortunately, my current chin length bob is the result of a MAJOR hair trauma on Thursday. (I would tell you the story, but I still can't talk about it without crying. The short version is that by the end of the day on Thursday, I had had not one but TWO haircuts, and lost a substantial amount of hair.)

Cheeks: My cheeks have always been very round. When I was a little girl, and the apples of my cheeks dwarfed the rest of my face. I looked a little like one of those porcelain, creepy clown heads that you find in carnival machines.

Smile: She managed to capture my "Sunday" smile (which is an explanation for another post), and my parents will be pleased to see the lovely orthodontial work that she also represented in the picture. I'm kind of wishing my teeth were still that straight. If only I hadn't thrown away my retainer with my leftover hot pretzel in the 8th grade, my teeth might still be that perfect.

All in all, I think she did a GREAT job with the picture and definitely has a future in art. Hmm...do you think the next time Olan Mills comes to take pictures for the directory that they would just let me use this instead of an actual photograph?

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

First of all, you are beautiful.

Secondly, the thing that Victoria captured perfectly in her portrait of you was your smile. . .I already told you that her "LOL" was only one step above and emoticon (which your face sort of resembles in that art), but that is because she associates you and time with you as being full of smiles, laughter, and fun.

Plus she NAILED your glasses. :)

My kids love you. They think you are THE BEST BABYSITTER OF ALL TIME EVER. (Those were there words--not mine.)