Thursday, January 21, 2010

The 10 Most Overused Wedding Songs

I laid in bed this morning for a good two hours before my alarm went off just going over various wedding-related items in my head. What should I do about this? Who can I tell about that? If it has to do with weddings, I am thinking about it.

Add on top of that all of the work-related items that I still must be concentrating diligently on, and you end up with a bride sitting in a Denny's on a Tuesday night with tears in her eyes. It really is a sad sight to behold.

However, I am M.U.C.H. calmer now. Nobody worry. I am not making any guarantees, but I seemed to have located the "good sense God gave me." (That's my shout-out to East Texas colloquialisms.)

Anyway, I went to eat lunch today with my friend Roxanne, and we started talking about wedding music. What started out as a serious conversation about songs to choose became a laugh-fest over the most overused songs in weddings. So, I thought I would share with you our list.

I have been to and in many a wedding that have pulled more than one selection off this list, and so I am fairly certain that I will offend numerous people with my ascertions. Therefore, I would like to offer a preface. These are the songs that I and I alone (well, Roxanne too) deem overused, and our opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of those around us.

Also, I am super-tempted to just make a compilation CD of all of the overplayed wedding music to use as pre-music for the wedding just because I think I would find it funny. I'll let you know what I decide.

Here is the list...

10. Evergreen by Barbara Streisand - A wedding is just not a wedding without "Babs" as part of it.

9. The Rose by Bette Midler - The same thing can be said for Bette. Whether it is The Rose or Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette has provided us with numerous wedding options.

8. Sunrise, Sunset from "Fiddler on the Roof" - The one has always struck me as odd, but it still prevails as a popular unity candlelighting song. Usually when I hear it, I have to work very hard to not purposely burst my eardrums in response.

7. One Hand, One Heart from "West Side Story" - Also an unusual choice because it is about two people who get married and then one of them dies. Not terribly joyful in my opinion.

6. Glory of Love by Peter Cetera - The title says it all, and if it didn't, the "easy listening" quality of the song makes it quite versatile.

5. I Can't Help Falling in Love with You by Elvis Presley - It's Elvis...what more can I say. Generations of teenage girls marveled at his swiveling hips.

4. Come What May from "Moulin Rouge" - Really...people choose some of their wedding music from the soundtrack of Moulin Rouge? I think that disturbs me more than the song itself.

3. Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion - Celine falls into the same category as Bette and Babs. Her signature "chest thump" (ala My Heart Will Go On from Titanic) makes her an appropriately dramatic "love songstress".

2. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. Bach - This one is for all my music friends out there (and for those that rely on pre-packaged wedding music CD's). I daresay Bach did not forsee the great popularity this piece would achieve. If he had, he would have demanded greater royalties.

1. Forever by Chris Brown - Okay, I am actually a fan of this song, but ever since the YouTube video hit the internet, this is "the song" to use, and so that is why it is included in the list. And no, it will not be a part of my wedding. If you have seen me dance, you will understand why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. . .KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!!!

Word.

Jacinda said...

I do believe #2 was in our wedding, thank you very much. Did you forget Canon in D by Pachelbel??

Ryan and Katie said...

Yay! none of those were in my wedding but i love that you figured you would offend people and didn't care!

Phillips Family said...

Was in a wedding where #4 was used during the unity candle. LONGEST. SONG. EVER. It was so terribly awkward b/c the bride and groom just had to stand and look at each other during all five minutes of this song.

they also used star wars music in the wedding.

Tamra said...

Great list! We didn't have any of the traditionals in our wedding either...which may or may not have to do with the fact that I picked the songs.

In your free time, you should also do an acapella list for those who got/get married in old school COC's. Just a thought!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

I think I need to do a post mocking the CoC words that go with "The Wedding March". That, to me, is probably one of the worst wedding songs ever.