Saturday, January 16, 2010

She Can Stand on a Cup

So, for those who have missed the recent excitement, yes, it is true, I am getting married. As all of you married folk out there know, there is M.U.C.H. to be done when it comes to planning a wedding. And while I know you guys aren't interested in all the details, after yesterday's outing of taking care of the wedding registry, I have discovered that there is a fount of material for blog posts. So, I will try to find a happy balance between droning on about wedding items and sharing the absurdity that happens our way.

As I said, the fiance and I headed out to do our Wedding Registry yesterday because there were a few little, old ladies at church that were somewhat forceful in making sure we knew the importance of getting that done IMMEDIATELY. So, rather than argue and risk being taken down by a denture-wearing, cane-toting granny, we obliged.

In one of the stores we went to (a department store) to pick out our china and other fancy items that we hope to use, the wedding consultant took great pride in demonstrating the versatility of our china. She whacked it on a table to demonstrate that if you felt so inclined, you could throw the china at the fiance and it wouldn't break. As tempting as that feature was, I really subscribe to the notion of NOT using violence when it comes to relationships (sorry, Chris Brown).

As if that was not enough of a selling point, she then grabbed one of the teacups, placed it on the floor, and stood on it. Now, I am sure that there is some sort of party trick associated with this, and if I were to try it, it would crumble and crush and disintegrate into miniscule pieces. However, she wanted us to know that if we ever needed to reach a dish (like say your fine china) on the top row of a kitchen cabinet, we too could grab a 4-inch teacup and use it as a step ladder.

As odd as a couple of these actions were to me, she really was a wonderful sales person to work with, because as soon as I saw the WORLD'S UGLIEST FLATWARE and asked if I could take a picture of it (of course, who wouldn't do that), she lifted the cover on the case so that I could get a better picture.

Below you see said flatware. Yes, it is "fish" flatware. The spoons have a little notch to represent the "fish mouth" (which probably makes eating soup a little tricky) and all the pieces have a dorsal fin on them. I am quite disturbed that anyone might pay $65 a setting for sterling silver flatware shaped like a fish.



The "item of note" for the day is when we were registering at the "other" store (think more economical store), the fiance and I were getting a little silly, and so there might possibly be a "wild card" item on the registry that we put on there just to see if anyone would notice and find it as funny as we did. No, it is not something crude. Yes, it is something that is obviously a joke. And yes, if someone figures it out, I will tell you what it is.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

Must hear more...I am utterly confused.

Roxanne said...

Deborah's comment cracked me up, as I am QUITE sure you are about to receive that statement IN SPADES tomorrow morning at church. . ."Must here more. . .I am utterly confused. And. . .oh. . .congratulations."

I on the other hand sit over here completely thrilled--both at the engagement, wedding, AND the fact that the fish flatware is NOT the item for which you registered. I was a little concerned for a minute. When you said, "World's Ugliest Flatware" my first thought was, "That's what she picked." I bet it would look GREAT with the moose plate I gave you.

Roxanne said...

And that's "hear". . .not "here." :)

Ryan and Katie said...

what?! I'm so confused that I know nothing of this beau. and yes that is the ugliest flatware.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

I know, I know, I know Katie and Deborah. I kept the whole progression of the relationship REALLY quiet for a reason, and apparently that wasn't the best plan of action. I promise I will fill you in.

Brandon and Jessica Hooks said...

OK. I have skimmed and searched the Target registry and cannot find your odd item...Am I blind or maybe it is something I find normal. LOL...what is it???

Roxanne said...

I guess the Febreeze and the "refill" pack.

Tamra said...

No time to search registries just yet...but am so looking forward to it! That sales lady and china sound like a dynamic duo if ever I heard of one -- goodness. So excited for you and Greg!!!!!