Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Trying to Take Action

I've recently been searching for some sort of direction in my life. Some sort of way to make a difference. I'm blessed with a great job and a wonderful family, but I often wonder that if I am making the non-work and non-family time in my life just as purposeful.

Recently, one of my family members posted a couple of blog entries that brought about clarity and gave me food for thought. I'm linking the two posts here, because if you have a chance, I encourage you to read them. The first is entitled Spectacular and the second is called It's a Girl!

Anyway, in my quest to work on small ways to help others, I want to make you all aware of an organization called Compassion International. They are a child advocacy ministry that works to break the cycle of poverty and at the same time sharing the news of Jesus. While I realize that poverty is such an overwhelming problem, I also want us to think about whether or not we are being compassionate towards poverty.

Over the last year at my work, in all the different service projects and activities that we do, I have really tried hard to teach the kids how to minister (both spiritually and physically) to those who need help. We have become such a blessed society that when we are faced with the ugly truth of poverty, I think we react in a very jaded way, and my hope is that we start to move away from that cynical reaction.

So, my question to you is what you are doing to be more compassionate?

2 comments:

Phillips Family said...

First, thanks for the links. Second, I sure am glad we are family members. We do need to have another family gathering soon...

Anyway, I agree that we all need to be more compassionate towards the issue of poverty. How quickly we forget that others are grasping at straws to survive daily as we continue to worry about if Starbucks has in their seasonal coffee yet.

Lynn Leaming said...

Jennifer,
Just thought I would give you another option for helping children with an agency who actually spend more money on the children than the overhead of the organization. Compassion only gives 70% of the funds you give to the actual children and the rest is for administration. Christian Relief Fund is a cofc agency and 95% of the funds go to the children. I have been a sponsor for about 8 years and have found them to be great at communicating with you. I get a letter from my child (colored picture, etc.) about once a quarter.
http://christianrelieffund.org