Sunday, October 25, 2009

Apparently I Am Common

So...come to find out...I am common. You know when as a young child your mother tells you how special and unique you are? Well, I have decided that might mother must have been lying.

In the past two weeks, I have had four different people tell me that I look just like someone they know or have recently met.

When person #1 told me, I just nodded, smiled, and said, "You know, I get that a lot," (which, strangely enough, is true). Then, person #2 said something to me, and they told me that "my twin" not only LOOKED like me, but they also ACTED and SPOKE just like me. Now my first question is how many people in America grew up in East Texas, went to school in the north, lived in Russia (all of which have shaped my manner of speech and dialect) and are overly-dramatic in conversation?

I had just about recovered from the second incident, when person #3 accosted me with the information that they, too, know someone who looks just like me.

Now, for most of my life, I really have heard that I look like someone else. Apparently, the slightly quirky glasses and penchant for slogan tshirts, layered clothing, and great heels (although, not all at the same time because black strappy heels really don't mesh well with the "I'm with stupid" tshirt) are not all that unique. However, I have CLUNG DESPERATELY to the hope that my mother was right, and I am truly one of a kind.

Then, I spoke with person #4. It happened this morning as I was waiting for church to begin. As the nice lady began to tell me that I look just like one of her students, my self-worth gently starts crumbling. As always, I nod, I smile, and I respond politely. It was at this point in the conversation that she tells me the student in question is in the 4th grade.

Yes...a 4th grader.

So, I am consoling myself with the notion that while I may not be unique or special, it seems that trick-or-treating is now an option for this year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE special and unique, jenni-poo.

and totally loved.

MB

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Thank you, dad.

Roxanne said...

I will send you the photos later this week. . .just remind me again. All is well here.

Deborah said...

I am so glad to hear you say this. People tell me that all the time too! I used to question, "Are my looks just extremely common?"

Instead, I have resigned to thinking that I am just really famous and the only one that doesn't know about my fame is ME.

There, don't you feel better?

Tamra said...

That's fantastic. I get those comments all the time too. My most recent favorite was a lady at church telling me I look "just like that one lady from the car commercial." After some probing, I figured out she was talking about a lovely, dark, Hispanic woman. I didn't get it.

El Comodoro said...

Look, this just means you have a promising future (or a continuing career, in light of your time in Russia) in international espionage.

And I've been wanting to get H.M. an "I'm with stupid" shirt for YEARS. Well done!