Friday, December 28, 2007

Books...Books...Books

I love books. I very much love to read. One of the things that I love about the holiday season is that I have a chance to read through quite a few of the books that pile up on my nightstand throughout the year.

I have already made it through all the books that I brought with me, and so I had to go to Barnes and Noble yesterday to purchase some new books to read. I spent a good bit of time browsing and figuring out what looked interesting.

I purchased a Nick Hornby book that I hadn't read, and I purchased "No Country for Old Men" because it had been recommended to me.

That got me to thinking. What are some books that I absolutely have to read. (I know I did a post similar to this on the old blog, but since I had to pull it, I lost all of that info.) So, the question I am asking is what book(s) would you say I need to read?

4 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Can't really recommend any that I have read, but here are several I have on my desk waiting to be read.
Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and the Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Others had recommended them to me.

Wezie said...

That's like picking a needle from a haystack! I recently read "The Notebook", cried, then blogged about it. I read a series of books about a shunned Amish woman that were pretty good...and, of course, Harry Potter is a fast, entertaining read. If you were at my house you could borrow one of Rebekah's one-gajillion books she has strewn all over her room. But alas, you live in Houston so good luck with your quest for the perfect holiday read!

Emily said...

I'm in the middle (okay, really at the beginning...) of "The Secret Lives of Bees" Its very well written. A little difficult to read thus far (about a girl in the '50s I think whose mom died and whose dad is absolutely terrible to her but I think she's about to get a way from that.) but I think its going to get better. Chick-lit wise I'm a fan of Emily Giffin and the book "Can you Keep a Secret."

On another subject, I'm now totally obsessed with the new product from Amazon - Kindle. Look it up. Its really cool. I saw the Sony version at Frys and thats what sparked my interest but the Kindle looks better. Its an electronic book. You can buy any book for $10 and take them all with you in one device thats the size of a paperback book. You can change the font size, and the screen really does look like a normal printed book - not like a computer screen. I was skeptical but once I saw one in person I became obsessed.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Okay...the kindle is way past cool. Plus, just think of my much neater your bookcases would be. They must be sailing like crazy, though, because Amazon is out of stock.