Friday, August 22, 2008

Harder Than Any of Us Could Have Imagined

Wow, what a week it has been.

I guess I really should remark on the past few months rather than just the week.

So...maybe I'll just leave it at "wow."

Many of you know that a few months ago my grandfather was diagnosed with a very aggresive brain tumor. Because of the closeness of my family, it has definitely been a rollercoaster ride over these past few months.

We were told to expect non-cognitive behavior, paralyzation, and all of the other "normal" deteriorations that occur with this type of illness.

So, we prepare. We pray. We focus on the wonderful blessing that his long and healthy life has given us. Most days when you ask any of us (the family members) about it, we can answer quite matter-of-factly.

Today, though, I think that changed.

Today, he entered hospice.

Today marked the beginning of the end.

My mother and her older sister sat with my grandmother as she quietly shed her tears over the change in situation. Those tears were shed over moving my grandfather out of the house that he has lived in for 67 years. Those tears were shed as my grandmother told her daughters that she promised my grandfather that she would always be with him. Those tears were shed as they moved the family picture that we took just three months ago to his room at the hospice facility. Tears are shed even now as I type this.

It is definitely harder than any of us could have ever imagined.

4 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

We were so blessed that Steve's father was able to do hospice at home, I am sorry that your grandfather can not. I can't even imagine the grief of losing someone after 67 years. May our Lord of all comfort keep His promise to your grandmother and to your entire family during this most difficult time. May you feel His peace and calm in the midst of the storm.

Jacinda said...

I am so sorry for the sorrow your family is experiencing. My grandmother sent the girls late birthday cards this week and expressed thoughts of how much she misses my grandfather who passed away just a few months ago. I am sad for her sadness as well as my own. It is hard. ((hugs))

Phillips Family said...

Many, many prayers being sent up for you family

Elizabeth said...

I'm praying for you and your family!