Friday, August 15, 2008

Campy Camp Camp

So, I am back from camp. We got back late this afternoon. It was lots of fun. All of the kids I took had a blast (which is definitely a good sign). I have always been a fan of camp and will probably always remain so. In fact, you could drop me off in the middle of the woods with nothing more than a coat hanger, a bottle of sunscreen, and some beanie weenies, and I would be very content. Add in a roll of duct tape, and I could be just like Michael Scott in his trek through the wilderness.

Some of the happenings from camp...

1. Purple hands. Yes, I turned my hands a very barney-like shade of purple. The Craft ladies tie-dyed this week at camp, and I offered to hang up the shirts after they had been dyed. It didn't even occur to me that I might need to wear gloves. Voila...purple hands. Fortunately, one of the kitchen ladies knew a top about how to get off the dye...bleach. After pouring the vast majority of a bottle of bleach on my hands, they are now their usual shade of pasty white.

2. I got to enjoy the wonderment that is Buc-ee's (see my previous post). I am still in awe of the establishment that let's one shop for beef jerky, biker vests, milk, and cheetos in the same location.

3. I got to shoot a bow and arrow during archery time at camp, and I actually hit the target (nowhere near the center, but that will be beside the point). It was AMAZING. I am still beeming with pride over that accomplishment.

4. 200 kids and I did the "Cha-Cha Slide". You gotta love the fact that a dance created as a fitness craze is now a wedding favorite (and apparently a camp favorite).

5. I have two interesting tan lines now (get your mind out of the gutter, they are not what you are thinking). The first is my flip flop tan lines. That's pretty normal. The second is my bandaid tan line. Yes, the perpetual bandaid that covers my tattoo stayed in place all week at camp. Mix pasty white skin with hot, hot sun, and you get a very unusual tan line. The whole "port wine stain" scenario is really seeming like a good idea now.

In other news, I have had to cancel my vacation. This week while I was at camp, my grandfather's health significantly deteriorated and we are looking at about 2 months. With that being the case, I need to hold onto my vacation days for obvious reasons. Please pray for my grandparents, mother, and her sisters as theymake their way through this difficult time.

4 comments:

Jacinda said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather and the canceled vacation. I'm glad you had a good time at camp though! We're still moving to Katy but a different house. The 1st one was a disaster. You can check my blog for the details.

Roxanne said...

Thinking of you and your family. I know about changed plans. I was also a big, big fan of camp and am so sorry that Victoria did not get to go this year. I feel like a bad mommy since she's only had ONE camp experience. Bleh.

Glad you're back.

Cindy Deister said...

I am so sorry to hear about your vacation plans. I obviously did not know when I told you to enjoy your trip this morning, sorry. Your family is in our prayers. We love you very much.

Roxanne said...

THank you for your sweet e-mail. . .and as far as knowing how to create a legit diversion, I've SO been there. That's how I knew you needed me to be "mean" to you. I truly, truly, TRULY know all you are going through, and I'm so glad that you are the girl you are--being there for your mom and your aunts and your grandparents and us too. Love you. Thinking of you.