Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Should Have Listened More Closely

I set out pretty early this morning to head back to Houston from Dallas. My plan was to get back to Houston early enough that I could get a good bit of work done before church this evening.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere did not agree with my plan.

About 1 1/2 hours from Houston it started pouring...major P.O.U.R.I.N.G. I did all the proper car things of turning on my lights, turning both my front and back windshield wipers on, and slowing down. However, it was still really hard to see what was in front of me.

So, I resumed "old lady pose" (i.e. hands gripping the wheel, face as close to the glass as possible) to try to make driving a little easier. But it was still really hard to see. It was so dark outside, and the rain was coming down in sheets. It was then that I noticed my sunglasses...which were still on my face. Apparently, I had neglected to realize that I was still wearing my sunglasses. So, once I pulled them off, it was instantly lighter.

I then relaxed into the "not quite as old lady pose" and continued on my way.

Numerous big bolts of lightning flashed through the sky. They were a little too huge and bright for my comfort level (I thought about putting my sunglasses back on). I was a little worried that my car might be struck by lightning. I thought back to 8th grade Earth Science and tried to remember what my teacher said about lightning. Apparently, I didn't listen well in class, because I really had no idea what my teacher had said about where lightning would strike.

Needless to say, I readied myself to become a stunt driver and avoid any streaks of electrical current that might possibly make contact with my vehicle.

As one might expect, I got back to Houston without incident, but apparently our building was not so lucky, because I walked into an office area scattered with trashcans and missing ceiling tiles. The roof seems to have a leak or two or thirty in it. Currently, our nice copy machine is pulled out from the wall and covered with garbage bags.

Maybe this is the perfect excuse to make copies. I can get up under the garbage bags and no one will find me. Then I can take a nap snuggled up to the warmth of the Ikon.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Totally crackin' me up, girl. Glad no lightning struck you. . .or your car. . .or, heaven forbid, your sunglasses.