Monday, September 28, 2009

An Actual Pumpkin Story

Yes, I realize that I have written long, lilting posts on the wonderment (is that really a word) that is the pumpkin, and yes, this post will be slightly similar. However, this time, instead of talking about how wonderful pumpkins are, I actually have my own real, live pumpkin story to tell.

Since we have hit this beautiful time of year called fall (although the weather did not seem to get the "fall memo"), I have been entranced once again by all things pumpkin.

I pass by a Starbucks and think how wonderful a pumpkin latte might be even though I actually cannot stand the taste of coffee. I venture into Bed, Bath, and Beyond and stand for hours smelling the glorious pumpkin scented candles until the manager runs me out (yes, unfortunately that is true). You get the picture...I loobloo (russian word for love) pumpkins.

So, the other day on my facebook status, I mentioned that I would like to make some pumpkin ravioli, but I wasn't entirely certain how to cook a pumpkin (this was inspired by an insomnial night watching Iron Chef America on Fancast). I received a bevy of responses on how might be the best way to do this. One of the mothers from church left detailed instructions on the proper way to do just this, and after reading her instructions, I actually felt moderately capable of handling the task (yes, I know that is called being delusional, but we are in my world now). However, because of the busyness of my week and weekend, I didn't have a chance to try.

Then, yesterday morning at church, I am standing at my normal post (probably leaning against the wall, because on Sunday mornings, I seem to be short on energy and need the wall to keep me vertical), and up walks the dad and daughter from this family. You would not believe what the daughter was carrying.

Yes, it was a P.U.M.P.K.I.N. Oh. My. Goodness. Extreme giddiness overtook me, and I became the happiest person in the whole world (quite literally), because have I mentioned how much I love all things pumpkin?

So, I am now prepared with the proper information, a recipe, and the most beautiful looking pumpkin you have ever seen (seriously, people, if I had a camera at home, I would take a picture of it and frame it on my desk), and tonight for dinner, I will indeed be making pumpkin ravioli.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

So how was the pumkin ravioli? We need an update!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

In turned out super yummy, and not all that hard to make.