Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Thumbs Are Faster than a Speeding Bullet

Yes, it is true. And no, I am not bragging. My thumbs really are faster than a speeding bullet.

Over the past few years as I have honed my texting skills, my thumbs have picked up quite a bit of speed and agility. I can reply back to a "Whatcha doin" with a multiple word answer faster than a Black Friday mad-dash to the electronics section.

Now granted, these fast thumbs of mine are now twice the size of my other fingers (in a strangely muscular way), but this skill really has served me well because I have been able to apply it to my Itouch. On days that I would rather not take my laptop home, I am still able to check my email, catch up with friends, and get a little work done from the comfort of my own home. Plus, the touch screen keys are set up in a very similar manner to my phone, and so I am able to do all of those things quickly.

Here's where the problem lies in all of that. Sometimes my thumbs move so quickly that an injury occurs (no, not a thumb injury because that would be just silly and a little embarrassing). Instead, I am talking about a face injury.

You see, last night I was lying in bed emailing one of my friends and my thumbs got to moving not just fast but super-duper fast, and the Itouch began to slip from my grasp. I should probably take this moment to explain that I was laying on my back holding the Itouch above my face. Are you seeing where this is going?

Yes, indeed, the Itouch slipped from my grasp and whacked me on the bridge of my nose. It. Hurt. It hurt so much my eyes teared up just a bit.

So, I felt it pertinent to take this moment to issue a word of caution to all of you out there who also have lightning-fast thumbs (and tend to lie in bed with a mobile or email device suspended above your face). Do not get careless with the power of your thumbs because you could be chatting with a friend one minute and having to nurse a black eye or busted lip the next.

Please, people, be respectful of the thumbs.

No comments: