Monday, September 7, 2009

Googling Thoughts

I have been up since about 5:30 this morning.

Yes, I know it is a holiday. My mind is fully aware of that, but my body seems to have neglected that piece of information. So, sleeping in was not really an option this morning.

To help pass the time while the rest of the house was asleep, I played around on my computer. One of my favorite things to do when I am bored is to just google random questions/thoughts/interests/etc online to see what I can learn about those topics. So, here is a smattering (that's my new favorite word) of what I googled.

**I have grand visions of riding a bike to and from work each day. I don't live that far from my work, and so it seems like a viable option. So, in my "bordeom googling" I mapquested exactly how far it was from my house to my work, and I also looked at various bikes (the Madsen bucket bike is my favorite, but my pocketbook will not open and let me purchase one). However, I should probably mention that I broke my arm one summer in college riding my bike from campus to my apartment when I crashed and tried not to land on my already broken other arm.

**The idea of canning fascinates me. I have even checked a few books out of the library on canning just so I can learn more about it. The sites I read this morning suggested starting with vegetables because of the high acid content. I wonder if I could dedicate a day to making my own soap, canning my own vegetables, and making some homemade bread? Then I could sit on the side of the road and sell my goods like a traveling merchant.

**Squeaking brakes...right now the brakes are squeaking on my car. I asked my dad if he could just oil them, but apparently if you oil the brakes then not only do they not squeak, but they also do not stop your car. So, I have been reading about house easy (in theory) it is to replace your own brakes. All you need is a few simple tools. Do you think a Swiss Army Knife, a flower-painted hammer, and cordless screwdriver count as the necessary "few simple tools"? I'll let you know.

**At a movie the other night, I saw a little "fun fact" thing that said Ashley Tisdale (HSM 1, 2, & 3) was the cousin of Ron Popeil. The Ron Popeil. Did you know that not only can you still purchase his Food Dehydrator and his Rotissrie, but the GLH (hair in a can) Formula 9 System that he invented is still available.

No comments: