Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thoughts on Ike

Hello from Houston. I made it home today, and it was relatively unpainful.

As I drove home from airport (yes, my car had not blown away nor sustained major damage), I passed by lots of destruction. It really was an eerie sight. I have to be thankful, though, that it wasn't worse.

One thing that I did have to snap a picture of on my way home was not 1, but 2 traffic lights dangling from the cords. I quickly pulled out my cell phone and snapped pictures from my driver's seat. The first one you can't really tell the angle. However, if you see the car in the far right of the shot, you can tell kind of wear the light was. It really was swinging back and forth right beside my car.


In the second picture, you can barely see the light, but you can see it's proximity to my car. I so desperately wanted to lower my window and reach out to touch it.


The other big adventure of the day was purchasing gas. I waited in line for about an hour, and when I finally got up to the pump, I made sure my car was as full as humanly possible. I really wish I had gotten a picture of the line of cars, but I never could quite get the shot.

Most places are still closed because of no electricity. However, both the Starbucks and the Panera seem to have electricity, and their parking lots were F.U.L.L. The draw of internet service was awfully powerful.

I know once Houston has power and things are cleaned up, life will get back to normal. In the meantime, my dogs and I will stay sheltered in our little home.

**********

On another topic, in the airport, I did have to take a picture of the new Southwest lounge chairs that are found at most every gate. These leather chairs are complete with regular plugs, USB plugs, and internet service. I could have slept here.


2 comments:

Jacinda said...

Nice chairs!

So you really did have to wait in line for gas? Sorry! I saw lines tonight at Kroger & HEB. I saw people at the pumps at Randall's but didn't see if there was a line. It's still cheaper than I've heard reported in Aiken & Atlanta though which is just weird.

I had to go to 3 grocery stores before I could get regular 2% milk and that made me sad! Kroger said 'no dairy' outside so I didn't even go inside, HEB had some lactose free & a little bit of organic but not even gallon size. Randall's finally had some.

Crazy.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

I probably should have come to your part of town for gas. Yeah, the lines over here have been bad. Also, the new Fiesta on Mason right off of I-10 has a fair amount of milk.