Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New Post

Okay...I guess I need to update my blog since it has been a few days.

I haven't done much lately because I have been a bit under the weather. So, each night, I come home and just crash. Needless to say, I haven't gotten much work done.

I did try to go vote yesterday. I wasn't able to, though. (Yes, I am registered to vote.) For some reason, the system wouldn't pull be up. It went something like this...

Early Vote Person (EVP): My I see your Driver's License? Do you still live at *** *******?

Me: Yes.

EVP: (swipes my driver's license) Nothing is coming up. Are you registered to vote?

Me: Yes.

EVP: Do you live in the Harris County part of Katy?

Me: Yes.

EVP: Let me hand you over to Patricia. She'll take care of it. Patricia, the system is not recognizing this lady.

Patricia (P): Sit over in this chair while I call someone.

Me: Okay.

(At this point, I sit for about 10 minutes while she visits with various people. I see her reading information off my driver's license.)

P: Nothing is coming up. Are you sure you are registered to vote?

Me: Yes.

P: Are you sure you live in the Harris County part of Katy?

Me: Yes.


P: Let me hand you over to Robert and he'll take care of it.

(At this point, I sit for about 10 more minutes while he visits with various people. I see him shaking his head and rolling his eyes a few times as if he thinks that I don't know whether or not I am registered.)

Robert (R): Nothing is coming up. Are you sure you are registered to vote?


Me: Yes.

R: Are you sure you live in the Harris County part of Katy?

Me: Yes.

R: Let me try one more phone call.

(I sit for another 10 minutes while I am assuming Robert is on hold with the person he is talking to because he did some texting and clipped a hang nail while he was supposed to be sorting out my voter mess.)

R: They have located your voter registration information, but it was held up at the State Department. You will have to call this number tomorrow and sort this out before you are allowed to vote.

(I see him secretly judging me for unlikely reasons as to why the State Department has held up my voter registration.)

Me: Thank you.

Like I said, I tried to vote yesterday. I have contacted the State Department, and it is nothing major. There apparently was information that they needed to verify since I lived out of the country almost SEVEN YEARS AGO. Apparently, my time in the middle of Siberia has now made the American government a little suspicious of me.

Hopefully, the next time I stop by the Early Voting place, it will be a much more fruitful trip.

In the meantime, I am on my way home and off to bed because I still don't feel good (sniff, sniff).

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

You should have REALLY freaked him out and said, "I see two of you, so which one of you is telling me that?" I think he would have found your information PRONTO.

Sorry for your frustration. I'd be griping while I sniffed.

Elizabeth said...

Hope you feel better!!!

Jacinda said...

All of that just to vote for McSteamy. *sheesh*

Cindy Deister said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling good. Amazing that the American government screwed something else up. They usually do so well during voting (hanging chad, anyone?).

Anonymous said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

The email about our gift just came yesterday. Email is so much faster than snail mail! Thank you! Deliever is supposed to be on the 28th.

MB