Thursday, December 17, 2009

9 Holiday Outfits that Should Never Be Worn

Now before I begin this post, I need to offer a preface. First, I am sick today, so if parts of the post sound mild to moderately unintelligible, it is probably due to the copious amounts of Nyquil in my system. Secondly, to all of my friends who might subscribe to these fashion trends, I am sorry.

9. Holiday Sweaters - I am not talking about the beautiful red sweater you might wear around Christmastime. No, I am talking about the sweaters that have pictures woven into the garment or that have bells or snowmen's noses dangling from the garments. The only time a Holiday sweater should be worn is if you are under the age of 10 (yes, kids can pull off the cuteness of this look) or if you are going to a Tacky Sweater Party.

8. Reindeer Headbands - This is another holiday fashion trend that ONLY works on kids. If you are well past childhood, then a reindeer headband should stay far away from your head.

7. Clothing that Plays Music - Now I know that this could almost fall into the category of Holiday Sweater, but I think the electronic aspect of it really sends it into a whole other arena. There are two types of Music Clothing. The first is the motion activated clothing, and that is the closest to being acceptable. The other type is the pressure activated clothing. Maybe it is my need to maintain my dance space, but anything that requires you laying your hand upon some random person to encourage the Christmas spirit just seems a little off. My favorite was one I saw a few years ago. It was a knit shirt with 3 angels on it, and you had to activate all 3 angels. The positioning of those angels was so unfortunate.

6. Christmas Plaid (Either Skirt or Tie) - Again, this is a trend that looks absolutely darling on kids, but just a little strange on adults.

5. The Suggestive Santa Shirt - You know what I'm talking about (I am not going to explain it), but there are holiday t-shirts that have taken our jolly holiday symbol and just made it wrong.

4. Elf Shoes - Unless you are going to a costume party or a sci-fi convention, then elf shoes should not be in your repertoire. (And those of you who dress up for sci-fi conventions, please come talk to me. There are other issues you probably need to be working on.)

3. Holiday Pajamas OUTSIDE of the House - I am all for a good pair of Christmas pj's. I even have a couple of pairs myself, but those articles of clothing are meant for the privacy of your own home.

2. Holiday Undergarments OUTSIDE of the House - I realize that this one really should go without saying, but after seeing someone parade around in their holidays boxers through the mall, apparently it DOES need to be said. Underwear falls into the same category as pj's. They are meant for the privacy of your own home.

1. The "Christmas Explosion" Outfit - More than 2 holiday items on at one time, really is pushing it. A beautiful green sweater and christmas broach look festive together, but if you add the plaid headband or wooden Christmas necklace, then you have just sent things over the top. Your goal should not be to wear every Christmas thing you own all at once. Less truly is more.

Well, I hope I have not offended anyone with my holiday fashion commentary, because it truly is just my opinion. However, if I see the man walking around in his boxers again in the mall, I may just have to confront him as to why his UNDERwear has become his ALL-TO-SEE-wear.

Tomorrow's List: The 8 Most Unusual Holiday Gifts.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

YOu made me laugh. . .more than once. The angel music shirt was what got me. . .

Deborah said...

A wooden necklace..hilarious, and unfortunately only found in the great state we live in.

Brandon and Jessica Hooks said...

I would like to add one- the sequin top that my mother has had and worn every Christmas since 1992! Nice, but old.....DON'T TELL HER I SAID THAT- LOL.