Tuesday, December 22, 2009

(Tardy) Guest Blogger: My Four Favorite Animated Classics of Christmas (+2)

Hello, all. This is Roxanne. . .Jennifer's friend. She is headed north and west in the Grand and Glorious Empire, so she has asked me to be guest blogger today. I am VERY late with the post because I don't know if I can do her other lists justice, but I'm gonna try.

Therefore, I give you: The Four Animated Classics of Christmas (+2)

There may be more than 4 (+2) animated/claymation Christmas movies that could be named here, but these are the ones that harken back to my childhood and the huge Magnavox cabinet t.v. that got all of 2 channels (ABC and CBS). Either myself or one of my siblings served as the remote control. There were no VCR's, and 8 track tape players were still all the rage--though we didn't have one. We had one set and were at the whim of whatever "cops 'n robbers" show Daddy wanted to watch, but on Christmas special night, the t.v. was ours. Momma was normally in the kitchen making Martha Washingtons, or Millionaires, or Chex Mix, and we were on the couch in animated Christmas bliss.

So, these are The Classics according to me.

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town



Who doesn't love this one? Poor little "Baby Claus" being given to Burgermeister Meisterburger--the most heinous of the claymation villians



Then, breaking away and being lost in the snow. Along come the wonderful Kringles with all of their rhyming names to the rescue.

"Well, wiggle my ears and tickle my toes. I think I see a baby's nose."

"It's more than a nose. There's a whole baby attached to it!"

"A baby what?"

"A baby Baby!!!!"

There's Topper the Penguin lost at the wrong pole, and the Winter Warlock who has always wanted a choo-choo, and lovely Jessica and the woodland wedding in the snow. Plus an all time classic Christmas song and some Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney thrown in for good measure.

2. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer



Gene Autry had no idea the wonderful hero he would unleash on the world by recording "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." It's as much a part of Christmas as Santa. . .as are the varying versions with added lyrics. I love Burle Ives as the narrator. I love Rudolph's stuffy little voice when his dad puts mud on his nose to hide the glow. I love Mrs. Claus fussing at "Papa" because he's too skinny. I love Hermey and his obsession with dentistry. I love Clarice and her tenderness towards Rudolph.



And most of all I love Yukon Cornelius, his big booming voice, and his willingness to help tame the Bumble.

3. Frosty the Snowman






"Happy Birthday!" Classic. That and the little sproingy, bouncy noises made by the bunny as he escapes the evil magician. I remember as a child disolving into tears right along with Karen when we first see Frosty in his puddle state.







And who really ever gets all the words to the song right? Is it "jolly, happy soul" or "happy, jolly soul" or. . .everyone just seems to fall into a sustained hum at some point.

4. A Charlie Brown Christmas

There are no words I can say that will adequately do justice to your own memories of this classic. So, I let the images speak for themselves while the soundtrack runs through your mind.









Lest I get black-balled from being guest blogger again (and since there are more than four classic animated/claymation movies), allow me to add two more.

+1 How the Grinch Stole Christmas



Obviously, Christmas gold. "You're a mean one Mr. Grinch. . ."





Seriously. Does ANY animated character get as cute and as vulnerable as this one?




Narrator: As the Grinch took the tree, as he started to shove, he heard a small sound like the coo of a dove. He turned around fast and he saw a small Who. Little Cindy Lou Who, who was no more than two. She stared at the Grinch and said...

Cindy Lou Who: Santie Claus, why? Why are you taking our Christmas tree? Why?



And this poor, poor doggie. I just want to pat him on the head and give him a nice, warm blanket.

+2 Emmet Otters Jugband Christmas


I didn't see this until I was in Jr. High, but if you've not seen this little video, let me encourage you to do so. The songs, the story, the entire thing is great--especially when there ain't no hole in the washtub.



3 comments:

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Thank you, my dear friend for guest posting. I have indeed been traveling north and west, and am thankful to have someone carry on the tradition of the countdown (even if they can't seem to count to four and add color and font size changes). Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

Roxanne said...

To quote you:

"Hello, Pot."

You're the one that started the TWELVE days of Christmas countdown on day ELEVEN.

Roxanne said...

Got your e-mail. Thanks for letting me be Kettle. :) I like the "K."