Saturday, January 24, 2009

Black-Eyed Peas (the bean not the group)

I have managed to accomplished virtually nothing today (which I am completely okay with), but in the quest to do nothing, I have done quite a bit of googling.

One of the topics that I have been searching is how to cook black-eyed peas (the bean not the group) because I love black-eyed peas and cornbread (it's the southern in me).

So, I stumbled across a pressure cooker website and discovered that using my pressure cooker, I can cook me some black-eyed peas in 9-11 minutes. Now, I am not entirely certain how to use my pressure cooker, and I vaguely remember my mother blowing one up many many years ago, but I'm hoping that with a little perserverance, I can figure it out.

However, if I arrive at work on Monday with an eyebrow or two singed off, then you'll know I wasn't completely successful.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Tony remembers a volcano of navy beans spewing from the pressure valve of his mother's pressure cooker. She had to clean them from the kitchen ceiling.

May the force be with you.

Roxanne said...

By the way, this is the easiest bean/pea recipe I've yet found that does not involve salt pork and growing things in a garden in my back yard. You can find bags of frozen butter beans, crowder peas, purple hull peas, AND black-eyed peas at Kroger or Wal-Mart. These take longer than 11 minutes, but they do not require you to clean anything from your ceiling. . .or your floor if the dogs get scared. Below this magic line is what I copied and pasted DIRECTLY from Boomama's site.
___________________________________
So here’s what you do:

Pour a cup and a half of water in a medium saucepan. Add 2 beef bouillon cubes, 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire and 1 teaspoon salt.

Bring ingredients to a boil, add a 16 oz. bag of frozen baby lima beans (this is Roxanne. . .I do not like baby lima beans, I like butterbeans or crowder/purple hull peas), stir, and return to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 30-45 minutes.

And if you’re thinking, “My, that’s a long time to cook a green vegetable. I can’t imagine that there’s any nutritional value left after cooking the butterbeans for that long,” why yes, you’re exactly right.
___________________________________

I use this cooking method A LOT.