Sunday, January 25, 2009

Road Rage vs. Amnesty International


This afternoon I decided to head up to the building to get caught up on work. As I was making my trek down the Katy Freeway, there was the car weaving in and out of traffic. He wasn't really going too much faster than anyone else, he just seemed determined to get behind anyone who was going the speed he wanted in the lane he wanted.

I'm sure you know what I am talking about. We have all seen it. The person who swings to the right side and left side of a lane back and forth as if to say, "Get out of my way. I am too lazy to simply use my turn signal and pass you using another lane."

And even though he wasn't behind me, this got on my nerves a great deal. So, I soon started muttering to him from the confines of my car. "Go around. It's not that hard. Although, you don't seem terribly smart because you haven't figured out that you can get past all of this traffic by using another lane."

As this continued, I noticed that my mutterings became louder and louder, until I was bordering on way more than irritated. I realize I should have just let it go, but he was being unbelievably rude, and by this time, an emotion that I can only guess would be described as road rage was emerging.

Keep in mind, I really am a peace, love, and harmony type of person, but there must be a full moon coming or a barametric pressure change because I threw peace, love, and harmony out the window.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not brazen enough to ever do anything. Nor am I dumb enough to do anything dangerous, but my brain did harken back to my days in college when my friends and I would carry dry erase boards in our cars so that when someone was not being a good driver we could write them a message letting them know that. The messages would be stuff like, "The Yield sign was meant for YOU." I assure you that they were never inappropriate. We just wanted to be ready to express ourselves.

Anyway, so I finally made it to church, and my blood was still a little boiling, but I sat down in my desk chair. I turned on my computer to get started with work, and I checked my email. The first thing that popped up in my inbox was my renewal notice for my Amnesty International membership. Yep, that's right. My "peace, love, and harmony" membership popped up to remind me that road rage was probably not the best use of my time.

So, I renewed it while feeling rather guilty, but I am thinking I may invest in another white board for my car. It might help my feelings considerably. Although, driving and writing at the same time is probably not the smartest move on my part.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

The dry erase board in the car is HYSTERICAL. That is just too good.

Deborah said...

Ha, ha, ha!!!

Do you think there was a message in that little "coincidence"?

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Roxanne, everyone needs a dry erase board in their car. And Deborah, there was most definitely a message.