Friday, February 13, 2009

Life Lesson from The O.C.


So, who knew I could gain a life lesson from The O.C.--not me. In fact, it shocked me slightly.

Let me back up a little to explain. I have been working on a project for the last few weeks that requires me reading through some pretty awful case studies on parenting and involvement of CPS. They really have been very hard and sickening to get through.

So, today I decided to take a break from my work and just chillax. I realize I spent all of Wednesday on the couch, but I was sick, so that doesn't count. Today, I literally wanted to do nothing. Mid-afternoon, the draw of just "laying there and reading" had exhausted itself. So, I flipped on the television and started channel surfing.

I landed on an old rerun of The O.C. (season 1...the best season).

As I watched the scene unfold, the dad (Sandy) was scolding the "foster" son (Ryan), for some trouble that he had gotten into, and Sandy was getting on to Ryan pretty good. It was at that point that Ryan made some statement to the effect of "he would pack his stuff and leave," (not in a running away/pouting kid reaction, but in a "I've messed up, and I know you won't want me anymore" kind of way).

Sandy's reaction to that statement was the best line ever uttered on The O.C. He said, "Do you think you can mess up so much that we are going to kick you out of this family? You are part of our family now."

Wow, if only everyone thought that way. I tell you, after reading all of those case studies, that was such a refreshing idea. And to think, it came as part of The O.C. Who knew there could be such a life lesson?

No comments: