Monday, February 16, 2009

Peanut Recall, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Sunday Mornings

Okay, so I am actually up at work on this fine President's Day trying to clean my office. It is a much bigger job than I anticipated, so it is BREAK TIME.

While I am taking my break, I thought I would take a moment to write a new blog post.

The first is about the peanut recall. So, I apparently have not been watching the news at all, and so when I got a phone call the other day from Sam's saying that a box of peanut butter crackers that I had purchased was being recalled, I was a little surprised.

That surprise was quickly followed by concern that I had eaten a number of those snack packages and was just now finding out that they had been recalled. (BTW...if anyone sees me acting slightly strange, then there is a good chance I have salmonella poisoning.)

Anyway, I loaded myself and my box of snack crackers into the car and headed to Sam's. When I got there, there was a pretty long line at customer service. That long of a line meant that I had plenty of time to people watch. I soon found myself fixated on one of the customer service people. He was standing at his register working very intently on his returns with a large safari hat planted squarely on his head.

The reason that this struck me as unusual was because it was overcast outside and he was INSIDE. There was no sun beating down inside Sam's Club, nor was he having to shield himself from the rain. He kept that hat on, though, and every so often he would tighten the chin strap just in case the wind inside Sam's might catch it and blow it away.

**********

The second thought is about chocolate chip cookies. I want to make sure that everyone knows the proper way to bake and serve chocolate chip cookies.

You bake the cookies until they are about 3/4 of the way done, and then you take them out of the oven, scoop them (probably with a spoon) into a small bowl, and eat them with either a fork or a spoon. Then you drink a LARGE glass of milk because the gooey version of the chocolate chip cookie is WAY SWEETER than anything you can imagine. (Warning...you'll want to eat just one or two cookies doing this. Otherwise, you will be make yourself sick.)

I am a fan of the raw cookie dough and of the completely cooked cookie, but the 3/4 cookie is the best. Plus, it saves electricity because your stove isn't on as long.

**********

Sunday morning...hmm...what an interesting day yesterday was.

First off, I completely lack the ability to communicate with others. I really do struggle with basic social skills (I'm thinking of asking Lynley to do some social skills lessons with me).

Anyway, unless I know you quite well and feel comfortable that you will embrace ALL of my weirdness, I almost always feel very awkward when visiting with people. That sense of awkwardness then makes my already fast-moving mouth and brain speed up so as not to prolong the misery of actually having to talk to someone. That increase in speed makes my thoughts very disjointed and what I am saying border on unintelligible. That, in turn, makes me feel even more awkward, which speeds things up more, etc., etc., etc.

Do you see the vicious cycle here?

Anyway, yesterday was definitely one of those days. I was meeting with one of my new coordinators yesterday morning about a new role that she is assuming. I have visited with her occasionally and quite a bit by email, but never a prolonged face-to-face meeting where I am required to convey specific information to her, and NEVER on a Sunday morning.

As I am showing her around and explaining some different things, I realize that I am not actually completing any of my sentences nor am I forming any coherent thoughts. As I start to internally focus on this issue, all of my speech continues to disintegrate.

Then, I realize that I drank a large Diet Coke yesterday morning on the way to church. I haven't had caffeine in months, but because I had stayed up late the night before, I needed a pick-me-up on the way to church. So, not only was my usual mush-mouth taking over, but I had added caffeine into the mix.

There really was no chance that she was going to get the information from me that she needed and leave the conversation feeling confident that I was the person in charge of the children at our church.

Oh well. Maybe I should start mixing Benadryl with my Sunday morning glass of milk.

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

1st of all. . .THOROUGHLY enjoyed the whole 3/4 cookie thing. . .idea. . .writing. . .carbon foot-print reducing. . .the whole shebang.

Secondly. . .even when you barely knew me from ADAM'S OFF AUNT, I NEVER noticed you not being a personable person. Of course, that might be because I am so frightening to people when they first meet me that they aren't quite sure if they should cling to me for life or run very, very far away.

And when did you give up diet coke?

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Roxanne, glad I could help you with both your carbon footprint and your sweet tooth. I gave up soda before Christmas because I was drinking WAY too much. You have to keep in mind that when I first met you, it was at the beginning of summer (when you were planning VBS). So, I think there is a good chance that you had other things on your mind.

Roxanne said...

Oh. . .I remember QUITE WELL when I first met you. I was afeared that you thought Suzy and I would try to tell you how to do your job. Little did you know that as soon as VBS was over WE were the ones that ran far, far way. HA!!!

You know. . .you CAN go to Sonic and get a Route 44 ice water FULL of ice and, thereby, get atleast PART of the satisfaction from the whole ice thing.

Deborah said...

Love my cookies the same way! How 'bout mixing Benadryl in with the 3/4-baked cookies? That way, you're still getting a tad bot of caffeine from the chocolate, yet the sedative effect from the Benadryl?!

By the way, I would never call you impersonal...or impersonable...or whatever it was you said. I would call you a minister on a mission.

karen b said...

maybe they were having a theme day at Sam's?

Cindy Deister said...

Okay, a good friend once told me to micro the cookies (especially oatmeal, but choc chip works great too) for about 30-35 seconds and then put a big scopp of ice cream on top of the beautiful gooeyness! Yum!