Sunday, February 1, 2009

Major Ouch

Okay, so I had a cartoon character moment this morning at church. You know the moment in the cartoons where the "dumb" character (e.g. Elmer Fudd) sticks his hand in hole to reach for something only to discover it is stuck. Well, that is exactly what happened to me.

Last week, one of my subsitute teachers knocked a bunch of pictures behind one of our long wall cabinets. She told me as soon as it happened, and I wrote it down so that sometime during the week I could get the maintenance guy to help me get it out. Well, I must have lost the paper, because I completely forgot about it.

So, as teachers are getting ready for class this morning, the teacher in that room came and told me some of her pictures were missing. Uh oh...it was at that moment I remembered what had happened.

So, her husband helped me scoot the cabinet away from the wall ever so slightly. It took quite a bit of muscle to move it that little, so I worked my hardest to reach behind it and grab the pictures. I squeezed my arm down into the opening, got hold of the pictures, and started to pull it out.

That's when the problem occurred. I couldn't get my arm out. It was stuck, and stuck good. A sense of panic quickly came over me as I wondered how my arm would ever come out. Would they have to cut it off??? Embarrassement followed the panic because I then realized that kids would be getting there shortly, and I knew their reaction would include lots of laughter.

Fortunately, the husband found someone to help him pull it out a little bit more, and my arm was released. I am now sporting a pretty ugly bruised area as well as a bruised ego, but at least my arm is still attached to my body.

No comments: